Administration News

Board of Regents adds 3 more years to Khator’s contract

President Renu Khator has been a big supporter of the team all season, urging fans to fill the stadium every week. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Khator’s notable performance and contributions to UH prompted the Board of Regents to extend her contract until August 2019. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The University of Houston Board of Regents decided on Thursday during its quarterly meeting that Renu Khator will remain the president and chancellor of the UH System for another three years.

Chairman Tilman Fertitta announced the extension after an executive session in which the Board of Regents officers negotiated the terms of Khator’s 2012 contract.

Beginning August 2016, the contract confirms her position until August 2019 with an annual base salary of $700,000, a retention bonus of $100,000 and an additional $50,000 bonus contingent on Khator’s performance of her duties.

“The Board considered the contract and performance of Chancellor Renu Khator and found her performance to be outstanding,” Fertitta said.

At the end of the Board of Regents meeting, Khator addressed Fertitta and their fellow officers with gratitude for their support.

“I would just like to thank you and the board for having the faith and confidence in me,” Khator said. “I really, really appreciate you all. Having the opportunity to be here, we have some big items on the agenda going forward, and I need your support, your vision. We know we can do a whole lot for this university, so thank you all very much.”

Currently in her eighth year of office, Khator assumed her role as the head of the university in 2008. As the first woman chancellor of the UH System, Khator presides over UH–Clear Lake, UH–Downtown and UH–Victoria campuses as well as institutions in Katy, Northwest Houston, Pearland and Sugar Land.

Additionally, as the first Indian immigrant to be appointed president of a major U.S. research university, Khator has helped UH make history.

During her tenure, the University has expanded with record-breaking enrollment and research funding as well as support from private donors. In 2011, UH achieved Carnegie Tier One status as a comprehensive research university.

The campus has also undergone several multi-million dollar construction projects, such as the updated Student Centers and the TDECU Stadium, as part of an ongoing $1 billion campus construction program.

Khator earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Kanpur before moving to the U.S. At Purdue University, she earned a Ph.D. in political science and public administration. She spent 22 years of her career at the University of South Florida, where she became provost and senior vice president.

After receiving numerous accolades for her work at UH, Khator was recently inducted into the Texas Women’s Hall of Fame. Gov. Greg Abbott announced the five inductees on Aug. 18, describing them as uniquely qualified for this honor.

“Whether in public service, the arts, business or education, these leaders have inspired generations of Texans to reach new heights, achieve new goals and elevate the Lone Star State,” Abbott said.