Crime News

Two students assaulted at M.D. Anderson Library

Two students reported being assaulted around 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the M.D. Anderson Library, according to the University of Houston Police Department.

According to a security alert sent to students Thursday, an unknown male approached one victim from behind at 3:30 p.m. and groped her buttocks with both hands. The victim was not physically injured, according to UHPD. The suspect then immediately left the area.

Four minutes later, another student in the library was grabbed around the waist by an unidentified male. The suspect fled when the victim screamed aloud. UHPD did not specify whether the victim was physically injured.

Detectives on the scene were unable to locate the suspect after the incident, and UHPD is currently investigating both cases.

UHPD described the suspect in the first assault as an African-American male with short black hair, between 5 foot 4 inches and 5 foot 6 inches tall. He is suspected to be between 20-25 years old and was wearing a red shirt and khaki shorts. UHPD has not released details about the suspect in the second assault.

According to a report in The Tab, the victim of the first assault was “bleeding from her mouth,” but UHPD reported that victim sustained no physical injuries. The Cougar is working to verify that account.

UHPD has not yet responded to a request for comment.

• “we don’t have… an unsafe environment on campus, that assertion is not bore out by any evidence”

-Jonathan Snow, former president of the faculty senate in a post about 6 months ago.

• Dr. Snow is the current faculty senate president, you twit. If you were a Coog, you’d know that. And I wouldn’t equate a random grope as much to hang your unsafe hysteria on. Anything to portray UH as dangerous for your NRA overlords, I guess.

• Insults, accusing me of not being a ‘coog’, and then calling me a puppet. You obviously don’t intend to have a civilized conversation. I do go to school here, as well as lead multiple on-campus, non-political organizations that advance the prestige of UH nationally as well as get new students to come to UH for programs that I helped start, lead, and now advise.

“Dr. Snow is the current faculty senate president, you twit. If you were a Coog, you’d know that.”

Is that so? Not according to official UH websites.

http://www.uh.edu/hr-faculty/

• Try reading the paper your commenting in. I happen to know Dr. Snow. August 17, 2016. Bullet Points: “Deadly weapons will never be an acceptable part of university life,” says Faculty Senate president. ” There’s even his picture. Oh, as for those “official UH websites” Will his UH Departmental CV do? Or is it not official enough? http://www.geosc.uh.edu/people/faculty/jonathan-snow/

• P.S. Had you clicked on the Faculty Senate link on that page you’ve had seen your error. They just haven’t updated the picture yet. Dr. Chin was greatly admired. I suspect they left his pic there out of respect.

• “Unsafe” is a relative term, you are pretending he meant no crime happens on campus when you know that’s not what he meant. You apparently think crime should never happen anywhere you are, and that’s not realistic. There are 60,000 people at UH and you actually think it’s unsafe based on this article? Compare this article to a newspaper from any other populated are of 60,000 people and see how this crime stacks up in the hierarchy of “unsafe”. Crimes are going to happen wherever people are. Your reaction to this article makes me think you come from a very safe suburban community. Congratulations. But you should know crime is happening there too; worse crimes than these. You just aren’t being sent an alert about it.
      It’s OK you don’t know Dr. Snow is the current faculty senate president, but you know what he meant and you’re being dishonest. I hope those “multiple organizations” you lead aren’t academic.