Soccer Sports

Soccer has eyes on scoring more victories

IMG_2597 (1)

UH soccer looks to keep their winning streak going, as they face the Texas A&M Corpus Christi Islanders. | File photo/The Cougar

After a weekend off from competition, the Cougars women’s soccer team returns to the pitch against the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Islanders on 7 p.m. Friday.

The Cougars head into the weekend unbeaten in their first three games and have shut out three straight opponents for the first time since 2010.

On the other side of the ball, the Islanders have struggled, as they have lost their first five games by a combined score of 25-1.

For the Cougars, sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Estopare has been a force in front of the net this year. She has kept a clean sheet in all three of UH’s games this year.

Estopare’s stellar performance has earned her the American Athletic Goalkeeper of the Week award.

It seems like the Islanders will have a tough time getting past Estopare, as they have only notched one goal for the entire season, which came in a 1-6 lost to the University of Texas at San Antonio last weekend.

Junior midfielder Hannah Dauzat started the season in stride and currently has the golden boot for the Cougars after bagging a hat trick in the season’s first game. Although Dauzat hasn’t found the back of net since, she is primed to add to her total when she faces an Islanders’ defense that has given up an average of almost six goals per game.

The Cougars currently lead the series 2-0-1 with an aggregate score of 6-1, and won the meeting last season 4-0.

After their game against the Islanders, the Cougar will face the University of California, Riverside next Friday and UTSA on Sept. 18.