Commentary Football Sports

Calling all Cougars: Attend the games

web-justin-tijerina-img_9914

UH fans were eager to pack NRG Stadium when the Cougars faced OU and they should do the same on Saturday. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

It was unsurprising that when UH Cougars played the University of Oklahoma Sooners in one of the biggest and most-anticipated games in the program’s history, the stadium – from top to bottom – was full of Cougars of all fandom levels.

But what happens when we host the Lamar University Cardinals this weekend?

It’s easy to support the home team considering when they’re playing a monumental game with huge implications. But it’s easier to not go when the Cougars play what some would consider an inferior opponent.

People shouldn’t just pick and choose which games they will attend based on the opponent. All games should matter — especially when the University has been at work trying to secure a spot in a bigger conference.

It’s wrong to think that game attendance is insignificant to the bigwigs who will make the final decision.

While that should matter to everyone involved because of the ramifications that a Power-Five conference could bring, it shouldn’t be the only driving force in whether someone attends a game.

The ultimate motivating factor should be to support the team and show school spirit. No matter the opposition.

As any competent coach will tell you, there is no such thing as an easy game. Head coach Tom Herman said earlier this week that the Cougars will be Lamar’s OU, which means the Cardinals will play as hard as they can to upset Houston.

It’ll be up to everyone – students, alumni and others associated with UH – to show up and cheer as loudly as they can.

Last season, as the Cougars stretched their winning streak to six and cracked the Associated Press’ Top 25, attendance was still an issue. Herman expressed his displeasure.

Just this week, he took to the Twittersphere, asking fans to attend the game. A coach, who is 14-1 overall and 5-0 against ranked teams, shouldn’t have to make his case to get fans to attend.

Texas A&M University has built a reputation based on how loud and proud their crowd can get. Known as “12th man,” their fans had the nation’s third-highest attendance last season.

Although the University of Texas saw a slight drop in the past five years, it still had an attendance that ranked in the top 10 in the nation and first in the Big 12 Conference.

So, every game should be treated as if UH is playing a high-caliber team. The deafening noise that comes with a packed house can distract the opposition and give the Cougars with the upper hand.

There’s no point playing at home if there’s no home-field advantage.