News UH System

UH becomes first to receive three diversity awards in one year

heed-divesity-edit

INSIGHT Into Diversity publisher Lenore Pearlstein, Chancellor and President Renu Khator, Provost Paula Myrick Short and other university leaders gathered to receive diversity awards from the magazine. UH is the first university to receive three of the magazine’s awards in one year. | Courtesy of the Office of the Provost

UH has garnered more proof to affirm its long-held reputation as one of the most diverse universities in the nation.

The publisher of the magazine INSIGHT Into Diversity came to campus Monday to deliver three 2016 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity awards to UH colleges that showed commitments to diversity.

“We are the first university to receive three HEED awards in a single year,” said Paula Myrick Short, UH’s senior vice president for academic affairs and provost. “We are absolutely thrilled to receive this recognition.”

Short gave the opening remarks at the acceptance ceremony held at the Rockwell Pavilion in M.D. Anderson Library. She stressed the commitments of herself and the University to help international and minority students.

Lenore Pearlstein, co-owner and president of Potomac Publishing Inc. and publisher of the magazine, introduced the award in 2012 to recognize the achievements of colleges and universities in the sphere of diversity and inclusion.

Pearlstein said the selection process involves more than just looking at numbers. The review board takes into account inclusion and outreach policies, hiring practices and future initiatives.

“This is not a rearview-mirror look, but it’s about the road ahead,” Pearlstein said.

Since 2012, this award has become highly coveted and respected among places of higher education in the U.S.

In 2016, INSIGHT Into Diversity gave out 83 HEED awards to universities and colleges across the country. University of Houston and UH Law Center received two.

Thirty-one more awards were introduced this year in a separate category, reserved specifically for health professional schools. The UH School of Nursing got one.

UH shares its status with four other universities as the second-most diverse campus in the nation, based on a list from U.S. News & World Report.

“We’re an extremely diverse university, we know that,” said President and Chancellor Renu Khator. “This award means the national recognition — we’ve been recognized for the things we do anyway.”

Khator recounted her personal experiences of immigrating into the U.S. and said that she got the support she needed. She said both diversity and academic success require continuous effort.

INSIGHT Into Diversity is the oldest publication focused on issues of diversity in higher education, having been in print for more than 40 years.

A full list of the recipients of the 2016 awards will be published in the magazine’s November issue.