Crime News

Weekend sexual assaults, thefts under investigation

UPDATE on Sept. 14: The Monday crime bulletin incorrectly listed the period in which Apple computers were stolen from the Moores School of Music. The computers, which were not in use, were actually taken sometime between Sept. 5 and Sept. 10. One computer was so outdated it was essentially worthless, UHPD Chief of Staff Bret Collier said.

Collier said UHPD is continuing to view surveillance video and pawn shops, when possible, to search for stolen computers. He said UHPD has no reason to believe the thefts at Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and McElhinney Hall are related.

Sept. 13: A string of assaults and robberies have kept the University of Houston Police Department’s daily crime bulletins full and the officers busy over the weekend.

UHPD said that a student reported to police that they were sexually assaulted at Cougar Place residence hall between 4 and 10:43 p.m. on Friday.

Since this is an ongoing case, the Harris County District Attorney’s office has not accepted or declined charges against the suspect. UHPD said forensic evidence from the case is being processed.

“The suspect in this case was known to the complainant and has been interviewed by police,” said UHPD Chief of Staff Bret Collier. “The case is still under investigation but there is no cause to believe there is an imminent or ongoing threat to the University community resulting from this case.”

On Sunday, a man unaffiliated with UH was arrested at the M.D. Anderson Library after touching himself in public.

The suspect fled after a student reported him to library security. Security officers were able to tackle the man. UHPD said no officers were injured during the altercation.

Phone theft by fountain

A female student walking between the Ezekiel Cullen Building and the Student Service Center was robbed of her cellphone around 8:56 p.m. Monday.

The suspect, described in a security alert as a black male between 20 and 25 years old and wearing a white shirt, red shorts and a visor, pushed the student to the ground while she was talking on her cellphone.

The suspect grabbed the cellphone and fled toward the A.D. Bruce Religion Center.

UHPD said it has a possible suspect in custody.

Computer robberies

Several laptops and desktop computers were stolen, and one recovered, on Monday afternoon. As stated in Monday’s crime bulletin, two laptop computers were reported stolen from McElhinney Hall during the same time period — from 10:45 a.m. through 12:55 p.m.

Two Apple computers were reported stolen from the Moores School of Music at some point between Friday and Monday.

Another laptop was stolen from the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture at 1:40 p.m. Monday. Monday’s crime bulletin said the laptop was recovered by several bystanders who caught up with the thief.

He then handed them the laptop and ran. The laptop was returned undamaged, and the owner declined to press charges.