TBT: Law Center through the years
September 22, 2016
Since its opening in 1947, the UH Law Center has been a vital part of the fabric of the University.
Fun Fact: On Sept. 15, 1947, the University held its first law classes. These classes would evolve into the College of Law, The Bates College of Law and, eventually, the UH Law Center. Now a staple of the University’s image, the law school started out with one professor and constantly moving classes.
A.A. White, a Dallas attorney, became the first dean of the new law school. He once said he was first intrigued to start the law school because Houston was “the last major commercial and industrial center in the country that didn’t already have a substantial, established law school.” | The Houstonian, 1969.
In 1952, the Pre-Law club was an on-campus student organization. Also, in 1952, Rita Keenan became the first woman to graduate from the Law School. | The Houstonian, 1969.
In 1953, one year after these photos were taken, the American Bar Association accredited the school and added more credibility to the new department. | The Houstonian, 1969.
John O’Quinn teaches practice court tactics to students. O’Quinn was one of the most proficient lawyers in Houston and an alumnus. The playing field at TDECU stadium and the Law Library are both named after him. | The Houstonian, 1969
The Law Library is one of the most historic locations on campus years after its construction. | The Houstonian, 1969.