Roundtable: How will the Cougars fare in San Marcos?

img_9431

Last season, the Cougars had no trouble downing the Bobcats, as they left TDECU Stadium with a 59-14 victory. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Cougars will try to win their second road game of the season on Saturday when they head west to San Marcos for a game against Texas State University.

The Bobcats are coming off a 42-3 loss to the University of Arkansas Razorbacks and will likely have their mind set on avenging that performance.

The Cougar sports staff gives their expectations for the matchup.

Sports editor Reagan Earnst

This is a game that the Cougars should have in hand by halftime. With a banged-up team early in the season, the team could benefit from getting some extra rest in week four.

In a perfect world, the No. 6 ranked Cougars could bench the starters for the third and fourth quarters, but in reality that may not happen.

Texas State University is a small program, but they can score the football. The team scored 56 points in their triple overtime win against Ohio University. In that game, Tyler Jones completed 40 passes for 418 yards and four touchdowns.

The Cougars should not have trouble stopping the up-tempo offense of the Bobcats. They have shown they can stop the run better than anyone in the country, which will severely limit the Bobcats’ attack. Not having the ability to run will allow the Cougars’ defense to play the pass and likely force multiple turnovers.

Defense will win this game for the Cougars.

Greg Ward Jr. will likely play with his injured shoulder, but he proved he can do so effectively against the University of Cincinnati. It will be important for the offensive line of the Cougars to protect Ward as they will have another quick turnaround with a game against the University of Connecticut Huskies on Thursday.

I predict the Cougars leave San Marcos with a 52-17 victory.

Senior staff writer JD Smith

Coming off a 28-point fourth quarter in their last game, the No. 6 Cougars will try to keep up the scoring Saturday night at Texas State in a game that should not be close.

The Bobcats (1-1) enter the contest following a 42-3 drubbing against No. 24 Arkansas, in which they were outgained in yardage 467-105, giving up 226 rushing yards on 5.1 yards per carry.

The Cougars have the top-ranked rush defense in the country, holding opponents to 38.3 yards per game while outscoring opponents 115-39 and averaging 216.7 yards per game offensively.

Both senior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. and sophomore running back Duke Catalon should find big holes en route to putting this game away early, allowing the starters to rest ahead of the short week.

Although, as head coach Tom Herman likes to remind everyone, Texas State isn’t Lamar, the results should not be much different. The Cougars are one of the premier teams in the nation, with a high-octane offense and an opportunistic defense.

The Cougars will run wild, and the starters don’t play at all in the second half. My final score is 56-7.

Staff writer Mervin Wright

The game this weekend against Texas State won’t be as easy to win as Lamar, but the Cougars will still dominate nonetheless.

The team is coming off of a nine-day layoff after a big win in Cincinnati. I think the team may come out a little slow due to a little rust, but that lag won’t last much past the first couple of possessions.

In their two games this season, Texas State averaged 64 yards per game, which the UH defense is probably salivating at, since their main goal is to stop the run. The secondary will have a workout against a team that gained 261.5 passing yards per game in their first two games.

Texas State’s offensive line has also allowed 10 sacks in two games so the front seven of the Cougar defense will be able to exploit their gaps and give Tyler Jones, the Bobcats quarterback, a rough day.

On offense, the Cougars will have a field day. Texas State’s defense is allowing 548.5 yards per game with 231.5 yards on the ground and 317 through the air.

This will be where we see the true talent of Duke Catalon and why the team was excited to get him from the University of Texas two years ago.

Prediction: Cougars win an easy one. 45-17.