LGBTQ workshop, president’s fall address highlight week of events

President Khator shows off her Cougar Pride at this Saturday's Bayou Bucket. Fernando Castaldi/The Daily Cougar

Khator’s spokespeople declined to give a preview of this year’s Fall Address topics, but it’s expected she’ll mention the University’s achievements over the last few semesters. | Fernando Castaldi/The Cougar

Get your planners ready.

This week’s most exciting events include an eye-opening workshop sponsored by the LGBTQ Resource Center and Center for Diversity and Inclusion, President Renu Khator’s fall address and a Mitchell Artist Lecture featuring Tania Bruguera.

Tuesday: LGBTQ Awareness Workshop for Students

Student Center North, Synergy Room (N212)

3 – 4 p.m.

The workshop from the LGBTQ Resource Center and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion aims to create a more welcoming campus and summon support for the LGBTQ community when homophobic and transphobic tendencies are prevalent. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend.

Wednesday: President’s Fall Address

Moores Opera House

10 –11:30 a.m.

Chancellor and President Renu Khator will talk about the University’s vast accomplishments in the past year. This year’s address’ theme is “Expect the Unexpected” and is anticipated to mention the University’s record enrollment rates, projected completion of the new Health & Biomedical Sciences Building II and the new Hobby School of Public Affairs.

Thursday: Mitchell Artist Lecture featuring Tania Bruguera

Moores Opera House

6 – 8:30 p.m.

The Mitchell Artist Lecture, hosted by the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, is a landmark public program that annually features major figures in the world of artistic collaboration. This year’s speaker is Cuban artist and political activist Tania Bruguera. Bruguera is known for collaborating with several institutions and individuals to create aesthetic models for others to use and adapt.

Friday: International Student Speed Networking Event

Student Center South, Ballroom, Room 210

2 – 4 p.m.

The International Student Speed Networking Event, hosted by University Career Services and the International Students Organization, aims to help international students understand the global job search and recruitment process. The event setup includes a roundtable with employers, alumni and international student workers on topics like resume-writing techniques to communication etiquette. Admission is free.

Saturday: “Our Town”

Wortham Theatre

8 – 10 p.m.

The School of Theatre and Dance debuts their fall production of “Our Town,” written by Thornton Wilder and directed by Adam Noble, that won the 1938 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Performances are scheduled for Oct. 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15 at 8 p.m. and for Oct. 9 and 16 at 2 p.m. Admission for students is $10, $15 for faculty and staff and $20 for the general public.

To purchase tickets, click here for more information.

• Looks like if you don’t accept the LBGTQIA’s tendencies … they will bend you over and force it upon the orifice of their choice.