Soccer Sports

Soccer earns first conference win with shutout

fw8a5602

Soccer improves to 6-3-1 on the season with their win over Temple University Owls Thursday night. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The soccer team continues their winning ways with a 3-0 shutout of the Temple University Owls Thursday night.

The win marks the first time the team has defeated an American Athletic Conference opponent since joining the conference.

Junior Selena Peters again gave a standout performance by netting her fourth goal this season to go up 1-0. Early scores have been a key factor for the Cougars in 2016, and Peters’ goal in the 15th minute adds to this trend.

The Cougars, up by one score at halftime, were able to dominate in the second half en route to securing the conference win.

The Owls helped the Cougars’ cause in minute 55 by scoring an own goal. In an attempt to clear the ball, a Temple defender and their goalkeeper made a move to the ball that resulted in it crossing the goal line and giving the Cougars a 2-0 lead.

Sophomore Desiree Bowen iced the game in the 70th minute by netting her sixth goal of the season. Off an assist from Peters, Bowen gave her team a 3-0 lead with the score.

The match also served as transfer goalkeeper Rachel Estopare’s return from injury. The team went 1-2 in her absence.

The win is the fourth of the season for the sophomore goalkeeper, all of which have been shutouts.

Soccer improves to 6-3-1 on the season and 1-2 in conference play with the win. The team will now prepare for a Sunday afternoon game against No. 21 University of Connecticut from Carl Lewis Field.

First kick is scheduled for 1 p.m.