Opinion Staff Editorial

Editorial: Cougars not yet done with football season

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_9887

The Cougars may have lost the chance to be undefeated this season, but we will continue to support them. | File photo/The Cougar

This is it, Cougars. This is our chance.

No, not our chance for glory or to make the playoffs — that will come with patience and guidance from coach. This is our chance to show our football team that we will stick with them no matter what.

Let’s just go ahead and face it. We lost a game we should have won and due to that loss we have dug ourselves in a deep hole. We dropped drastically in the polls, lost to a conference team and gave up first place all in one game. On top of all this, our playoff chances for this season seem far off because of our strength of schedule.

We at The Cougar say, “So what?”

We have seen our team overcome so much adversity over the last couple of years. We also know right now head coach Tom Herman and the rest of the Cougars are working their butts off to ensure that this loss fuels them for the rest of the season.

Herman preaches daily how this team puts every minute of their time into playing for us. Their blood, sweat and tears are for the fans. We have to repay them by standing by them even when things aren’t going as planned.

Students and faculty — now is the time to give that extra effort and show your school spirit. People may start to doubt the Cougars, but it’s important that students continue showing the enthusiasm and support since the beginning of the season, since when expectations were high.

We are not fair-weather fans or bandwagon riders. This is our football team.

We’re just a few short seasons removed from a pair of 8-5 seasons, even a few more removed from the heartbreak of losing coaches like Kevin Sumlin to the sniping of a Power-5 program.

Fans seemed to have forgotten that in the wake of a 12-1 season and a Peach Bowl victory. Let’s not forget that Herman has done so much in his time here already, and if we want him to stick around, we have to show the support of a sell-out crowd each and every game to show him that the love he receives at UH will be unlike anything he could get anywhere else.

Greg Ward Jr. is still a star and Herman is not going anywhere any time soon (we hope). With Ward at the center of the team, we have a good chance to run the table, and that includes the Louisville Cardinals that has also had a stunning loss this season. Their quarterback may also be a superstar, but our defense will make him regret that he had to face us.

Let’s show the rest of the country that we can still pack our stadium and still back our team no matter what the circumstances this season and beyond.