Thursday, June 22, 2017

Crime

Miles-long police chase ends with arrest near campus

Students living in apartments on Calhoun Road were privy to a high-speed chase featuring a HPD helicopter when officers crossed the edge of campus Thursday morning.

According to the police, the chase began at 1 a.m. when officers attempted to pull over a white Chevrolet pickup at the 6400 block of Windswept Lane in the Bellaire area. The car’s driver may have been impaired and was driving erratically, police said.

The suspect traveled eastbound through Houston for 10 miles before passing in front of Bayou Oaks. He then ran northbound on Calhoun Road at around 1:20 a.m. before turning southbound onto Martin Luther King Boulevard with several officers and a police helicopter in tow.

During the pursuit, the suspect fired a handgun at the officers from his vehicle and chipped a window on one of the squad cars.

The chase ended at around 1:30 a.m. after the suspect fled from his vehicle into a wooded area at the 4000 block of Red Bud Street four miles from UH. The suspect was taken into custody with the help of K-9 units shortly after, according to HPD.

UH Police Department said no campus officers were involved in the pursuit and no students were injured while officers passed through campus.

Tags: , ,

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106