Coming Out Monologues, The Crucible highlight week’s events

The UH School of Theatre and Dance is performing it’s final run of the “The Crucible” this weekend; the show is one of two scheduled for the reminder of this season. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

The Moores School of Music premieres its opera rendition of Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible,” which runs on several dates throughout the end of October. | Emily Chambers/The Cougar

You won’t want to miss this week’s campus events.

If you’re looking for a few social activities to brighten your calendar, consider attending an architecture lecture with renowned architect Meghan L. McDermott, an Orientation Team Info Session to put ‘O-Team’ on your resume, a campus carry talk and debate, the annual Coming Out Monologues and the premiere of the Moores School of Music’s rendition of The Crucible.

Wednesday: Orientation Team Info Session

Cougar Village 1, Room N113

5 to 6 p.m.

For students interested in joining the O-Team or learning more about the University’s Orientation Team program, an info session will be held for approximately 35-45 minutes. Attendance is free and anyone who is interested in coming can contact Christopher Bullock at 713-319-8904.

Thursday: Safe Campus UH

Outside the Graduate College of Social Work

9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Sponsored by the Graduate College of Social Work, this free campus carry talk will include information tables, speakers and an opportunity for direct action against the Campus Carry policy. The goal of the talk is to educate, bring awareness to UH’s campus carry policy and ensure that campus remains a safe space for learning, debate and sharing of different opinions.

Coming Out Monologues

Agnes Arnold Auditorium 1

6:30 to 8:30 pm

The Student Affairs and Enrollment Services has partnered with GLOBAL for this second annual production of the Coming Out Monologues. The event gives LGBTQ students the opportunity to share their coming-out stories and experiences to empower people to embrace their identities. Attendees can learn more about the LGBTQ community at UH and support their friends on stage. Admission is free.

Friday: “The Crucible”

Moores Opera House

7:30 to 10 p.m.

Get ready for the Moores School of Music’s rendition of the Pulitzer Prize-winning opera by Robert Ward. Inspired by Arthur Miller’s classic play, “The Crucible,” which was written in response to the Sen. Joseph McCarthy’s anti-Communist witch-hunts of the 1950s, chronicles a witch-hunting fever within the town of Salem, Massachusetts, turning neighbor against neighbor with devastating results. Admission for students and seniors is $12 and $20 for adults.