City News

Taco festival, Muslim Women’s Literary Conference are here this weekend

Embed from Getty Images

Houston Press Tacolandia

4 to 7 p.m., Saturday, Buffalo Bayou Water Works

The second annual event features unlimited — yes, you read that right — taco sampling. Twenty-six restaurants will serve up all sorts of tacos, from street to contemporary, for attendees in this weekend event. Plenty of accompanying entertainment as well. Get tickets here.

Pumpkin Carving & Puppy Costume Contest

Noon to 7 p.m., Sunday, Axelrad

Let the Halloween spirit arrive early by putting your pumpkin-carving and costume-designing (for puppies) skills to the test. Remember to bring your own carving utensils. Have your pup at the garden by 4 p.m. to enter the contest. Just think about the potential cuteness overload at this event.

October Truck Madness

7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday, Royal Purple Raceway

Who says trucks are only made for loading and towing? See these beauties tear up the asphalt from sunrise to sunset this weekend at the Royal Purple Raceway. Check here for tickets.

Muslim Women’s Literary Conference 2016

10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, University of Houston

Hosted by Daybreak Press and the Sisters Committee of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, the event brings the best authors, educators and activists to enlighten attendees. You can also purchase books and have the authors sign right on the spot. Tickets are $15.

Cherub – Bleed Gold Tour

7 p.m., Saturday, House of Blues

The electro-indie duo will definitely shake the venue this weekend with songs from their latest album “Bleed Gold, Piss Excellence.” Have a listen here and then get tickets here. Attendees must be at least 18 years old.

• A must read book written by a Muslim woman is “Infidel” by Ayaan Ali Hirsi. An autobiography that chronicles the hellishness of being a woman in Islam and of the road towards freedom.