Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Crime

Cougar Village II resident threatened with unloaded handgun

A student living at Cougar Village II found himself staring down the barrel of a semi-automatic handgun of another resident 8 p.m. Sunday.

According to UH Police Department, the suspect entered the victim’s dorm room without permission. The suspect was visiting the victim’s suitemates who were in another room in Cougar Village II.

After aiming the gun at the victim, the suspect revealed it to be unloaded before leaving the room to return to the shared suite’s common area.

UHPD said the suspect had no license to carry the weapon. The police department is working to apprehend the suspect on one charge of aggravated assault. 

Until investigators make contact with the suspect, the primary owner and storage location of the handgun are unknown, UHPD said.

According to UHPD’s Campus Carry FAQ, the suspect could likely face further legal penalties for possessing and brandishing the handgun inside the dormitory, which is listed as an exclusion zone.

The original daily crime bulletin’s description of the incident said the roommate of the victim was present during the assault. UHPD, however, said that description “was an error stemming from the fact that the suspect was originally thought to be a resident of the suite.”

UHPD confirmed that the victim and suspect were the only ones present in the room at the time of the incident.

Tags: , , ,

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?