Soccer concludes season against SMU

Junior Selena Peters is tied for second on the team in goals with two. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The Cougars will try to make team history with a win over SMU Thursday night. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

Looking to end their two-game losing streak, the soccer team welcomes the Southern Methodist University Mustangs for their final game of the season on Thursday.

First kick is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Carl Lewis Field.

The soccer team has not come away with a win since they defeated Temple University 3-0 on Oct. 6.

A win against the Mustangs on Thursday would mark the first time in program’s history that the Cougars have defeated SMU. The Mustangs lead the all-time series over the Cougars with a record of 12-0-2.

SMU enters the game as a top team in the American Athletic Conference, with their 11-5-1 record overall that has seen them go 5-2-1 within the conference. The Mustangs have been impressive on the road this season with a 4-3 record.

The Cougars are led by sophomore Desiree Bowen, who paces the team with seven goals on the season despite just 15 shots on the goal.

Junior Selena Peters has been an all-around force on offense for the Cougars, tallying four goals and a team-leading five assists.

University of Arizona-transfer goalkeeper Rachel Estopare has been key to the Cougars improvement play this season. Estopare has played 12 games between the posts and recorded 64 saves while in the game.

With the help of freshman goalkeeper Nicole Young who filled in during Estopare’s absence, the two have combined to shutout opponents six times on the season.

The conference tournament is scheduled to begin on Nov. 2.