Basketball to host annual Red-White Scrimmage

basketball staff ed pic

The basketball team will tip off their season next Saturday with a matchup against UNC at Pembroke. | File photo/The Cougar

In an effort to put the finishing touches on their offseason workouts, basketball is hosting its annual Red-White Scrimmage in Hofheinz Pavilion on Oct. 29.

The scrimmage is set to begin following football’s matchup against the University of Central Florida. Attendees are recommended to walk to the pavilion since the football game will affect parking around campus.

The Red-White Scrimmage is the first chance to see head coach Kelvin Sampson and his team take the court in 2016.

Fans can see returning letterman Galen Robinson Jr., Rob Gray Jr., Damyean Dotson and Danrad “Chicken” Knowles.

Gray led the Cougars last season, who paced the team with 16 points per game. Now in his second year on the squad, Gray will try to improve upon that team-leading mark.

Overall, the Cougars finished with a record of 22-10 last season. The team performed well inside the confines of Hofheinz Pavilion, earning a 15-3 record at home.

Basketball was left on the outside looking in of the 2016 NCAA Tournament after the team suffered a first-round loss in the American Athletic Conference to the Tulane University. The team went on to fall 81-62 to Georgia Tech University in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament.

The basketball team is scheduled to open their season next weekend when they host the University of North Carolina at Pembroke next Saturday.

Admission to the exhibition is free. Seating is on a first-come-first-serve basis, excluding courtside seats.

Tip-off of the 2016 Red-White Scrimmage is tentatively set for 3 p.m.