Gun control lecture, playwright rememberance highlight week of events

VaginaMonologuesCast

Auditions for the annual Vagina Monologues will be held on Nov. 8-10 at the Women and Gender Resource Center. | Courtesy of the Women and Gender Resource Center

Monday: Celebration of the Life of Edward Albee

Wortham Theatre

7 – 9 p.m.

In a celebration of the life of beloved playwright Edward Albee, the College of the Arts is sponsoring an evening of monologues from selected Albee plays, live music and an exhibition of artworks from Albee’s personal collection. Special guests will share personal anecdotes and tributes to Albee. Speakers will include Jakob Holder, executive director of the Edward F. Albee Foundation, and Gregory Boyd, Alley Theatre’s artistic director, among others. Attendance is free.

Tuesday: FirePower: Women, Guns & Gun Control

Rockwell Pavilion, MD Anderson Library

11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Sponsored by the Women’s and Gender Sexuality Studies program, the event welcomes students to attend interviews with Houston women on diverse topics, all of which are recorded for the Barbara Karkabi Living Archives Series. RSVP parking is available in the Welcome Center garage at Entrance 1. Attendance is free to students and members and $10 to the general public. Lunch will be provided.

Wednesday: “Experiencing China”

UH Hilton, Conrad Ballroom

10 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Students attending this lecture and film event, sponsored by the Asian American Studies Center and the Chinese Consulate Houston Office, can experience Chinese culture with seven Asian guest speakers who will present and participate in a discussion panel. A light, buffet-style lunch will be provided to all attendees. Attendance is free.

Thursday: The Vagina Monologues Auditions

Women and Gender Resource Center, Student Center North, Room 201

10 a.m. – noon

“The Vagina Monologues” is a student-led production in the form of several monologues that deal with various aspects of the feminine experience including: sex, love, rape, menstruation, female genital mutilation, masturbation, birth, motherhood and the various common names for the vagina. All students are encouraged to audition.

Friday: Till Now: Contemporary Art in Context lecture series presents Douglas Crimp, (U. of Rochester), “Why Dance”

Fine Arts Building, Room 110

6:30 – 8 p.m.

Sponsored by the School of Art and the Blaffer Art Museum, the lecture will explore the art of dance. With extended viewing hours at the Blaffer Art Museum, students are encouraged to attend a pre-talk reception before the lecture with light food and beverages from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Attendance is free.