Sports Volleyball

Volleyball prolongs slump with losses over weekend

web_dsc0700

Despite great performances by Keandra McCardell, the volleyball team lost both of their weekend matchups. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The volleyball team continued its slide over the weekend after falling to both Temple University and the University of Connecticut at the Athletics/Alumni Center.

Despite junior setter Keandra McCardell’s two double-doubles, the Cougars (5-20, 0-14) lost to the Owls 3-0 (25-27, 22-25, 15-25) Friday night and the Huskies 3-1 (23-25, 20-25, 25-22, 19-25) Sunday afternoon.

McCardell posted 13 assists and 13 digs against the Owls for her 25th career double-double. Sophomore Chenelle Walker and junior Sarah Afflerbaugh co-led the team with eight blocks each.

Freshman libero Katie Karbo and sophomore setter Katie Krebs also had big weekends for the Cougars. Karbo picked up 36 total digs while Krebs added 33 assists, including a game-high 18 against UConn.

The Cougars struggled against Temple offensively, hitting only .139, while the Owls recorded seven blocks and 59 digs en route to a straight-set victory.

McCardell continued her hot weekend for the Cougars Sunday afternoon, recording the 26th double-double of her career after a 19-assist, 14-dig effort in the 3-1 loss to UConn (15-10, 6-8).

Freshman outside hitter Megan Duncan and Afflerbaugh led the way offensively for the Cougars, picking up 15 and 10 kills respectively.

After losing the first two sets of the match against the Huskies, the Cougars put together one of their best offensive sets in American Athletic Conference play hitting .314 en route to a 25-22 victory.

The Cougars were unable to complete the comeback though, as the Huskies never trailed in the decisive fourth set, taking a 25-19 victory and closing out the match 3-1.

The two losses put the Cougars at 5-20 on the season and losers of 16 straight.

Volleyball will try to end the streak when they travel to New Orleans for a matchup against the Tulane Green Wave on Wednesday.