Sports Volleyball

Volleyball tries to right ship against Green Wave

Volleyball-WEB

The volleyball team will rally against the Tulane Green Wave in order to end their 16-game losing streak. | Jonathan Valadez/The Cougar

In the middle of a 16-game losing streak, the women’s volleyball team looks to get an elusive first American Athletic Conference win Wednesday night when they travel to Tulane University for a match against the Green Wave.

In the first matchup between the two teams this season, Tulane (14-12, 6-8) picked up the 3-1 (19-25, 18-25, 27-25, 12-25) victory for their first win over the Cougars (5-20, 0-14) since 2014.

Junior setter Keandra McCardell is coming off back-to-back games with double-doubles and continues to climb the Houston all-time record for career assists. McCardell finds herself in seventh place all-time with 2,674 assists in her career.

Two weeks ago against the Green Wave, junior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh picked up the sixth double-double of her career with a career high 16 kills and 12 digs.

In the matchup, the Cougars relied on freshman outside hitter Faith Squier’s team-leading 15 kills to provide a spark to the offense.

The Green Wave enter Wednesday’s contest after dropping their last match 3-0 against Temple University. Tulane has struggled in recent weeks going just 4-6 in their last 10 games.

Junior outside hitter Sarah Ray leads the Tulane offense with 320 kills. Senior outside hitter Tea Juric is close behind with 273 kills and a team-lead with 281 digs.

The Cougars will have to improve if they want to conquer the Green Wave, which is ranking last in the conference in hitting percentage, opponent’s hitting, kills, blocks and digs.

Wednesday’s game is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Athletics/Alumni Center.