Sports Volleyball

Cougars drop another game, now last place in conference

Volleyball will be looking for their first conference victory when they welcome the Temple University Owls to the Athletics/Alumni Center Friday night. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The Cougars are now 0-15 in conference play after dropping their latest contest 3-0 to Tulane and have only won six sets in 15 matches. | File Photo/The Cougar

The women’s volleyball team continued their slump, losing their 17th-straight match after falling to Tulane University 3-0 (22-25, 23-25, 15-25) Wednesday night in New Orleans.

Junior setter Keandra McCardell continued her hot streak, securing her third straight double-double and seventh of the season after a 19-assist, 11-dig effort.

With the loss, the Cougars are now 5-21 overall and 0-15 in the American Athletic Conference, while the Green Wave improves to 15-12 overall and 7-8 in the conference.

Freshman libero Katie Karbo picked up a game-high 21 digs and now has 428 on the season, currently on pace for the 10th most all-time in a season for the Cougars.

Offensively, junior outside hitter Brianna Lynch had a team-high 10 kills. Junior outside hitter Sarah Afflerbaugh and freshman outside hitter Faith Squier each added seven.

The Green Wave’s senior outside hitter Tea Juric added a double-double of her own with 13-kills and 12-digs, while setter Justine Bowers had a game-high 29 assists.

The Cougars were able to keep the first two sets close, tying late in each. The runs by Tulane at the end, however, proved to be too much as Houston fell in straight sets.

In the decisive third set, the Green Wave never trailed en route to moving within one game of .500 in conference play.

Houston will look to pick up its first conference win Sunday afternoon when they host the University of Memphis Tigers. The Tigers are ranked 10th in the conference at 4-10 and have lost six out of their last 10 matches.