Parking lot will be inaccessible for new athletic facility construction

“The new garage will help tremendously this Fall and getting the spaces at the stadium back a year later will also help. But students will still need to utilize the economy and ERP lots,” said Robert Browand about the current lack of parking spaces.

Lot 12B is home to 300 student parking spaces. | Aisha Bouderdaben/The Cougar

Lot 12B, just west of the Stadium Parking Garage, will permanently close Thursday for the construction of a new indoor athletic training facility due to open in time for the 2017 football season.

The lot is home to 300 parking spaces assigned to student permit-holders. According to the project website, “the proposed project is construction of an approximately 95,000 GSF indoor football practice facility consisting of a steel structure, a synthetic turf practice field, weight room, A/V, graphics and viewing platforms.”

Robert Browand, director of Parking and Transportation, said the spaces will not be replaced. He added that Parking and Transportation is currently in the programming phase of a 2,400-space garage, which is expected to begin construction sometime in early 2018 pending UH System Board of Regents’ approval.

Browand reiterated that Parking has added approximately 1,000 spaces at the Energy Research Park.

“The project is fully funded by private donations solicited by the Houston Athletics Department,” said David Bassity, associate athletics director for strategic communications, via email.

Initial demolition work, which consists of preparation and erecting the construction site perimeter fencing, will begin Friday following the Louisville Cardinals football game.