Man on the Street: Your take on Herman’s decision?

Saturday’s announcement that Tom Herman had been hired as the head coach of the University of Texas took UH fans by storm.

Herman, who is not even two years into his tenure at UH, cleared up months of speculation and rumors when he accepted the position.

The former head coach had a 22-4 record in his two seasons in Houston, including a 6-0 record against opponents in the AP Top 25 poll. Herman’s initiative off the field will leave the University with far better athletics infrastructure than when he took over in 2014.

The departure has been met with mixed reactions, but UH students seemed to be understanding of Herman’s decision.

Education junior Angela Ayala:

“I personally think that maybe he shouldn’t have left the way he did. But I think he left a legacy, which is awesome because it’s what has made games so much more exciting and student attendance has grown. People need to get over him leaving.”

Retail and consumer science senior Charles Williams:

“I’m not mad at him. That’s his dream job. UT also offered more money, so I’m not mad at the guy for chasing his dream.”

Psychology and pre-nursing junior Brian Swain:

“It’s his dream job. Everybody’s got to chase their dreams at some point. You’re always going to have building blocks. You’ve got to work your way up and there’s steps you’ve got to take along the way. So you can’t blame him for chasing his dream.”

Mathematical biology junior Adrienne Lightfoot:

“I wish him the best, I’m not really mad at him. He’s doing the best for his wife and kids, and that’s where their dreams started in the beginning.”