Student choreographers to put on unique acts at showcase

201611304700

Many of the students participating are not dance majors and are doing the showcase as a hobby. | Courtesy of the School of Theatre and Dance

Students from the School of Theatre and Dance will show off their moves and artistic skills Friday at the annual Emerging Choreographers Showcase in Wortham Theater. 

For several years, students of the dance department have had the chance to run a production in a professional setting, choreographing routines, choosing costumes, music and working the overall show.

“This is the first time that I’ve seen so many different styles of dances be in one show,” said senior dance major Hasina Sadiwala, who will appear in three performances. “There is one piece that is hip-hop and break dancing combined with contemporary movements, and I’ve never seen that performed at UH, from what I’ve known.”

Some students are seniors who are choreographing a full piece as their final projects. Others enter the show for fun and to explore their skills in dance.

Each student who choreographs a routine reveals their distinct ideas and dance styles to make it their own.

“It’s going to be personal because it’s you choreographing,” said Gillian Bowen, one of the senior choreographers and dance majors. “So no matter what, you’re going to be seeing parts of yourself in it, which is kind of exciting.”

Bowen said that her piece, “Seeming Undone,”  is about the feeling that a person gets when they want to say something, but then stop short of doing it.

Rather than for a class or project, communication senior Somya Gupta and theatre junior Joel Aguilera worked together on a piece to practice and explore their choreography talents. Their performance is without a theme or a story, and just demonstrates a flow of movement.

“Every piece is so different and unique to that choreographer,” Gupta said.

Bowen hopes that the audience will get an eclectic view of dance and the joy that it can bring.

The show is at noon and 7:30 p.m. Friday as well as 7:30 p.m. Sunday.