Sports Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball returns home after win on the road

web-justin-tijerina-img_9114

The women’s basketball team improved to 2-4 on the season with their victory Wednesday night. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The women’s basketball team ended November and their four-game losing streak with a 68-52 win over the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Wednesday night.

The victory moves the team to 2-4 on the season and is their first road win of the year.

Freshman guard Angela Harris, who was named American Athletic Conference’s Freshman of the Week last week, amazed with an 18-point performance. The mark gives her a team-leading fourth game with at least 10 points scored.

The Cougars had a balanced offensive attack with scoring coming from many players.

Junior guard Chyanne Butler, senior guard Kierra Graves and freshman forward Dorian Branch each contributed 10 points.

Sophomore guard Serithia Hawkins continued her dominance on the glass in the early part of the season after notching a team-high 12 rebounds, five of which were offensive. She also added six points and four assists on the offensive end.

The Cougars got off to a slow start in Edinburg, but found their rhythm as the game progressed. The team brought just a 32-27 lead into the locker room at halftime.

The second half was all Cougars, though, as they outscored UTRGV 36-25 to get the win.  This marks the second consecutive season where the Cougars defeated the Vaqueros.

The Cougars will return to Hofheinz Pavilion for a matchup against the College of Charleston Sunday. A win will even the team’s home record at 2-2 on the season.

Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.