Financial inequality projected upon women

Embed from Getty Images

There’s essentially no argument against the fact that women of all countries, races and origins are discriminated against in some way.

Yes, America has one of the most beneficial atmospheres for women, but there are still issues that exist within our society regarding gender discrimination. It stands as a fact that this prejudice flows through nearly every aspect of society, and perhaps one of the most debilitating instances of this is the financial inequality of women.

It’s proven that women pay more for goods and services than men do. Products offered to consumers are broken down into categories of necessity and desire, and from there are divided into gender-specific groups. Usually, the only variation in these products is the color.

A recent study conducted by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs analyzed the prices of nearly 800 products and concluded that 42% of the products sold to women were more expensive. Razors sold to women are 11% more expensive than those sold to men, and the price of shampoo price is increased by a whopping 48%.

This enigma even bleeds down into children’s toys. The exact same toy targeted toward girls with gender-specific packaging is proven to cost an average 11% more than those that are targeted toward boys or are gender-neutral. According to a Kansas City news source, in 2015, a gender-neutral scooter retailed at $29.92 while a nearly identical pink one with tassels cost $32.82. According to the same source, at another store, a gender-neutral kitchen set was priced at $138.99 while the identical one, colored in pastels, went for $172.61.

The acceptance of this entertains the idea that women are willing to pay more for these feminized products. Alongside this, there is the idea held by big business that women simply aren’t economically intelligent enough to understand the price differences regarding gender-directed products. Yale directed a study that confirmed that women pay, on average, $200 more for the exact same vehicle than one purchased by a man.

This is because women aren’t perceived as learned in things that are culturally regarded as masculine interests.

According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, women are paid 21.4% less than men. The issue is even more substantial when it comes to women of color. The American Association of University Women reported that, in 2014, black women earned 63% of what white men in America were paid while Latina women earned 54%.

With these women falling into higher poverty rates, the discrimination between race and gender becomes even more evident. This puts an even greater financial strain on low-income households, promotes the use of welfare and does nothing to address the issue of poverty that runs rampant through the nation.  

The price increase on gender-specific goods is illogical, and so far, there has been no acknowledgement of this controversy by the national government. Everything is considered from an economic standpoint, and the only logical reason that gender discrimination in consumer products still exists is that there is no financial benefit to equalizing these prices.

On a state level, only California and New York have passed laws making it illegal to engage in gender-based price discrimination.

As sexism flows through America in the 21st century, the gaps regarding men and women need to be closed and steps toward complete equality need to be taken. Women are being taken advantage of, and when they’re paying more and earning less in 2017, there is an evident issue at hand that needs to be eradicated immediately.

Katie Santana is a graphic design sophomore and can be reached at [email protected]

• Let’s gets one thing straight Lil Katy. Islam oppresses women more than any American man or company can.

You complain Katy by saying “it’s proven that women pay more for goods and services than men do?”

Well, then do something about … or are you Lil Katy gonna be like John Lewis … and be all talk and no action. Start a women’s owned company and charge lower prices for stuff sold to women.

And who says women can’t use a men’s product for your grooming needs. I use a Tough Blade for shaving, and it’s only $20 bucks a year. Is our skin that different? What’s so special and different about women’s shampoo than that of men’s? Use a man’s shampoo and pocket the savings.

You complain about not being equal to men … now here’s your chance. Men’s Razors and Shampoo await.

If you are upset over the differences between men’s and women’s compensation, they’re are choices. Present your case for better pay. If they can’t afford it, they can’t afford it.

Start your own company and pay yourself what you want to pay yourself, and better yet, don’t hire men if you don’t want to.

This whole drill of women are paid this, men paid that. Black women paid this, Latina women paid that. What it all boils down to is preparation of one’s life to be able to deal with what society throws at you. And that mostly involves public schools, and they have failed miserably; especially in the inner cities schools run by Democrats for decade after decade and they’re no Republicans around to blame.

Detroit Public Schools are probably the worst among them, where it is common place to have oral and carnal activities going on in the back of the classroom, and in the hall ways in plain sight on teachers, security, administrators, as they go about their duties just passing the waste of humanity onto the next grade to get rid of them.

In Detroit, over 90% of students are NOT proficient in reading nor math. How is that gonna help the Black Community recover from the disastrous Obama Administration, when Blacks continue to vote Democrat and essentially for their own Democrat servitude every two years.

Lil Katy? Do you not owe some blame to yourself? Do the women themselves not own some of the blame?

As a grad student I have my own company. I’ve done well, and can delegate so that I can relive the campus life for some hours of the day. I hire and pay on merit, and not by whether someone is male or female. In fact I have more female employees than male, and some, not all females, actually make more salary than the males.

And just the past fall, when I had a position open. So I started candidate interviews by playing our National Anthem on my Bluetooth speaker in my office, standing from my chair, facing the Flag in my office, and putting my hand over my heart. Thank You Collin Kapernick.

Those candidates who did not stand for the Anthem, or lagged behind in their enthusiasm, were not asked back for a second interview. Why should I ask a candidate to return for if they are not loyal to Our Flag … they will not be loyal to me and my company. That’s their choice, and they have to live with it.

So whatever life throws at you Lil Katy …. DEAL WITH IT!!!

• Don’t act like this is forced upon anyone. Products are made and priced up like that because they know people will pay. It’s why out of two identical handguns, some women pay $100 more for a pink one. It’s why you could just make yourself a margarita but people still pay more for “skinny girl” brand. It’s why regular shampoo is 3 bucks but “brazillian super amazing shampoo” advertised by selena gomez is twice the price. There are people willing to pay.

• Don’t worry some idiot will tell you to deal with it or just get over it as it is just life. Keep up the good work and speak out.