Man on the Street: Students fear, oppose Trump’s travel ban

Less than two weeks ago, President Donald Trump signed an executive order entitled “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States.” Most notably, it restricted the entry of citizens from seven predominantly-Muslim countries including Libya, Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Iraq, Yemen and Iran.

When the ban was first implemented, there was confusion as to whether this applied to green card holders. Consequently, several people were detained in airports across the nation. Two days later, it was clarified that the order did not apply to lawful permanent residents. In the wake of these events, protests erupted across the nation against the order and Trump.

University of Houston President and Chancellor Renu Khator stated in an email that “the University of Houston stands with our students, faculty and staff from all countries, races, religions and backgrounds.” According to the statement, the ban affects 280 students, faculty and staff. She advised that members of the communities potentially affected refrain from leaving the country until more details emerge.

The Cougar asked students what their thoughts on the ban were and how they felt about the university’s response.

• Lil Tiffy Wang … you glittering jewel of colossal ignorance.

You have to go out and find students who have not one care for a common sense immigration program to protect real-Americans.

And let’s be completely honest. Barack Obama cared not one iota for America’s immigration policy, and in fact took steps make it easier for unvetted immigrants to enter the United States.

Vetting of immigrants is necessary, and saying that “America is for everyone,” is an irresponsible statement. There is only one group that wants to harm America and Americans … Radical Islamic Terrorists. And if someone is offended that Islam is involved somehow, then so be it.

The U.S., if we are to remain a Free Country, our citizens needs to have a reverence for American Law and Culture. Democrats have been successful in taking us from a Melting Pot to a bunch of Balkanized Groups, and have kept at a distance an Americanization of recent immigrants. Which was the case for the suspension of immigration between 1924 – 1965. Hopefully things will change.

The United States is in need of another such period of Americanization.

Unchecked immigration is a country killer … Europe, Sweden especially, is finding that out right now. Barack Obama supported the practice of unchecked immigration, and in fact took in Australia’s extremist Muslims from Indonesia, trading them for Central American illegal immigrants, which President Trump just told the Aussie PM to go pound sand, because he was not going to continue the practice.

This Campus piece is designed to keep UH students on immigrants stoked up against common sense immigration law. This is part of the sausage making of making Our Country safer, and if a few people are inconvenienced as part of the process, then I have to say … So Be It.

If one American is saved, it’s worth it.

It was the Amish looking cooky columnist Brucato who wrote “there is no way to tell who is a jihadist and who is an innocent refugee.” And in that case I wrote, “deny them both.”

Progressives have to realize that Radical Islamic Terrorism of the future isn’t gonna your garden variety pressure-cooker bombing, public machete hacking, shooting down Gays in a nightclub, or using trucks to run over people along the seaside. No. We are talking suitcase nukes here in the heart of some downtown or sporting event. And many Progressives will be eating their words over the topic.

You actually thought that Obama giving Iran nukes was for peaceful purposes? Please. The chatter will be there in time.

• Immigrant vetting is absolutely necessary for our country’s safety. I don’t understend the outrage over this…

• I keep seeing you posting hate in many topics. I know this is a spam account.

Else meet me outside the university police department, tomorrow at 4:30…..

• Ah, Peace. Can you provide to us infidels specific instances of my so-called posting of hate?

I’ve not shot any Gays, hacked up any UH students, nor ran over any people in front of the Student Center. Nor do I posses any will to do so, or aide anyone in that enterprise..

And Peace, F* Your Feelings. If my Progressive UNAPPROVED Speech does not jive with you. Then go to some Socialist website that won’t offend your Snowflake sensibilities.

We Thank Goodness on the Most High … we live in a Free Country. And Universities are quickly realizing that Snowflakes like you are more of a hindrance to the purpose of education. University of Chicago has said to its students if you go there and expect safe spaces or responses to trigger warnings … then don’t go there.

Mizzou has closed two dorms due to lower than expected student admissions. And Alumni are drastically cutting back on donations to the universities and/or their colleges.

Yes, Socialists like you Peace, have forced an unleashed Republican Force to regain control of My Country. And just as momentum shifted to the Patriots in the 4th Quarter of the Super Bowl. The momentum has shifted Republican … and you should be … VERY AFRAID!!!!!

• Peace … why should I give you … someone who written three bumbling sentences, with not one effort at a sensible refutation of my points. Why would I give you, a pimple on the derriere of UH Socialist society … an audience?

If I’m gonna meet anyone … it will be on my terms.

Peace, If only your parents would have spanked instead of coddling you … you would have a backbone today.

• ***DAVID***

Can you provide to us infidels specific instances of my so-called posting of hate?

Not one of you freaks has even come close.

Your definition of “Hate” is any rhetoric that you happen to disagree with.

And your Calls of Hate are being heralded on deaf ears. The Sky has stopped falling ***DAVID***. Trump’s Populism will win the day.

And people like you ***DAVID*** will continue your cowering in your darkened corners. Afraid to come out except to occasionally volley “you post hate,” before you run back to your dark corner.

Trumpitis is a contagious disease of strengthening backbones, and its spreading among the GOP Leadership in the House and Senate. And guess what … Congressional Polls are at 8 year highs.

And ***DAVID*** never forget … you are fly … and you just got swatted.

• Challenge me ***DAVID***!!!

Write something of substance that will cause me take aback and be surprised by your thoughts.

You and the rest of the Socialist hoard at UH are stuck on symbolism, and cannot muster thoughts that will make Republicans cower.

***DAVID***, you write one-liners that a fourth grader could scribble.

At least echo some of the worthless talking points that leftist profs utter here. You’ve probably memorized those?

• Is it a BAN or a RESTRICTION? Be consistent in your arguments! It is actually neither, just a requirement for increased vetting. Quit believing what you see read to you on TV by those no more educated about the order than you are.

• “Getting a student visa is a way to get your foot in the door of the United States for whatever purposes you might have, if you want to be a terrorist or if you want to immigrate to the United States,” said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a nonpartisan think tank that seeks greater restrictions on immigration.

‘Flawed System’

“We’ve got a deeply flawed system and we’ve got no accountability,” said Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif. “You can have a lot of these students not showing up at the university and no one would know that.”