City News

Section of Spur 5 closes Friday night for 7-month project

UH commuters can expect increased traffic on near-campus highways through Spring 2019. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

A stretch of perennially gridlocked highway frequently used by University of Houston students will likely be even more congested beginning Friday night.

The Texas Department of Transportation informed UH on Thursday that it will close a section of Spur 5 northbound that connects the University to Downtown at 9 p.m. Friday, according to UH Media Relations.

Traffic on the portion of Spur 5 entering Downtown will be detoured to a loop directing drivers to the intersection of Scott Street and Interstate 45 for the next 7-9 months.

The closure marks the first of a three-phase construction program for the I-45 Northbound Construction Project, according to a TXDOT news release. The $30.45 million project, projected to be completed by Spring 2019, will eventually create a new interchange between I-45 and U.S. Highway 59.

According to UH Media Relations, the second phase of the project, expected to begin at the end of this year, will close the U.S. 59 northbound connector from I-45.

The third phase, set to begin mid-2018, will close the U.S. 59 southbound connector from I-45.

The University advises students to “avoid the area” and “expect delays and heavy traffic on Scott Street at I-45.”

Drivers will still be able to enter I-45 north from Spur 5.

The elevated portion of Spur 5 that takes drivers from campus to downtown Houston will be closed for at least seven months. | Courtesy of the Texas Department of Transportation