Softball Sports

Softball eyes Georgetown for midweek match-up

Sophomore Savannah Heebner (5) was named AAC Pitcher of the Week after going 2-0 with a 2.00 ERA against No. 5 Texas A&M and Sam Houston State. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

After going 2-0 in a rain-shortened Houston Hilton Plaza Classic over the weekend, Cougar softball returns to action against Georgetown at Cougar Softball Stadium Tuesday.

Behind a low-powered offense, the Cougars run-ruled Princeton 14-1 in five innings and edged out Sam Houston State 6-5 with a walk-off single from sophomore catcher Brooke Vannoy.

Saturday’s action was postponed due to inclement weather, which continued throughout Sunday, cancelling the remainder of the tournament. The Cougars’ match against Wisconsin was ruled a no-contest while the games against Sam Houston and Louisiana-Monroe were cancelled.

The Hoyas (4-12) enter the contest coming off a 1-3 weekend at the Texas A&M Invite. After picking up their third win of their fourth win of the season Friday night, they head to Houston losers of three straight.

Following a 7-6 victory over Prairie View A&M, the Hoyas fell 7-1 to No. 5 Texas A&M. They returned to action on Sunday, falling  to UTSA 7-6 after pitcher Katie Vannicola gave up four runs in the first inning. They closed out the tournament with a 8-0 loss to the Aggies when Georgetown pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha, a Houston native, gave up eight runs in 4 2/3 innings.

Tuesday’s game will be the first time the teams go head-to-head.

Coming off a big weekend with one home run and five RBIs, senior utility player Shelby Miller is now tied for No. 6 in the NCAA in total home runs (8) and No. 4 in total RBI (27). Her breakout has been key to a Cougar offense that ranks second in the AAC with 107 runs scored.

Sophomore Maya Thomas and freshman Arielle James add depth to the Cougar lineup, leading the AAC in average and hits, respectively.

On the mound, sophomore pitcher Savannah Heebner is coming off one of the best weeks of her career. She was named the AAC Pitcher of the Week after going 2-0 with a 2.00 ERA behind two complete game wins over No. 5 A&M and Sam Houston State.

The Cougars have won four of their last five games and look to continue their success Tuesday night with first pitch scheduled for 5:30 p.m.