Sunday, July 23, 2017

Campus

‘Governator’ announced as Commencement speaker

UPDATE 3 p.m., Wednesday: According to coverage by KHOU, the University is paying Schwarzenegger $40,000 for the speech.

It’s been an exciting few days for Cougars with the fountains turning on (and then off again) and the death of a campus legend, the white-tailed squirrel; today, the University confirmed Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Commencement speaker for the class of 2017.

The native Austrian began his career at 15 as a bodybuilder and fitness model, winning Mr. Universe in 1980. He became an American cinematic icon for his role in “The Terminator” series.

In 2003, Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California in a recall election for former governor Gray Davis.

Most recently, he replaced Donald Trump as host of “The Celebrity Apprentice” after Trump was elected president.

Spring Commencement for graduating seniors is May 12 and will be held at TDECU Stadium.

Tags:

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106