Golf Sports Tennis Volleyball

Weekend preview: Competing across America

Women’s Volleyball will play their first game of the spring semester this weekend in the Houston Tournament. | File photo/The Cougar

As students re-acclimate to life in Houston after Spring Break travels, Cougar sports teams will be taking off to compete all over the country.

Volleyball

Volleyball (5-26) kicks off the weekend on Friday playing host to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette and San Jacinto College as part of the Houston Tournament. The Cougars will take on Louisiana-Lafayette (10-21) at 5 p.m. and San Jacinto (26-9) at 7 p.m.

This tournament will be the start of a short spring semester for the Cougars, as they play two of their four games this weekend.

While the contest against San Jacinto could end in a lopsided defeat, the Cougars may have more luck against Louisiana-Lafayette. Houston’s five victories this season came from out-of-conference games, so this may be an opportunity to add a sixth to that list.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis (8-9) continues its trek through Utah this weekend as it prepares to play Brigham Young University (3-8) at 11 a.m. on Saturday in Provo, Utah, in what could potentially be a close game.

The Cougars are coming off a Thursday evening loss to the Utah Utes. This matchup against BYU will be the last road game of the regular season for the Cougars.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf will tee off in the Hootie at Bulls Bay Intercollegiate Tournament, hosted by the College of Charleston, this weekend in Awendaw, South Carolina. The University of South Carolina Gamecocks are the defending champions.

Previously, the Cougars competed in the Valspar Collegiate Invitational in Palm City, Florida, finishing ninth overall. They beat out No. 23 Arkansas and No. 30, both by two strokes. Junior Michael Perras was recognized for tying at 20th at five over par to lead the Cougars.