Baptist Student Ministry begins 72 hours of prayer

Nichole Taylor/The Daily Cougar

The Baptist Student Ministry will host their biannual 72 Hours of Prayer in Butler Plaza from Tuesday to Friday. | File photo/The Cougar

The Baptist Student Ministry will set up tents in Butler Plaza Tuesday evening to host their biannual 72 Hours of Prayer.

The event, which lasts continuously until Friday night, will be a place where students, faculty and staff can go to pray for themselves and other people, said BSM Director Shannon Rutherford. Other groups participating in the event include the Catholic Newman Center, the Church of Christ, First Presbyterian Church and Bridges International.

“We’ll have a tent outside in front of the library, and it’s just a place where people can come and pray,” Rutherford said. “It is a Christian group, so we want to invite other believers and other followers of Jesus to come and pray, but it’s also a place where students and faculty can come and be prayed for. So, it’s both aspects of praying ourselves but also being prayed for.”

Rutherford said that there will be students and ministers working the event 24 hours a day beginning Tuesday evening.

“It’ll be our students, and it’ll be ministers on staff from those different organizations,” Rutherford said. “So, it’ll be a combination of everybody (working), but there’s a lot of students who want to care for and minister to their fellow students.”

There are five different groups signed up for three-hour time slots, Rutherford said. The BSM leadership team is organizing the details for the materials, tents and personnel needed to work the event.

“Baptists don’t have a market on (prayer), so we want as many followers of Jesus to join in to ask God for God’s work on this campus and the lives of students and staff,” Rutherford said.