Man on the Street: Students react to Kendal Briles hiring

Former Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles accepted an offer to join UH’s staff in the same position in early January, and the announcement sparked contention among UH fans and columnists.

Controversy surrounding Briles began in March 2016, when Baylor student Jasmin Hernandez sued her university, alleging that school officials failed to investigate her claims that she was raped by a Baylor football player. While the rapist, Tevin Elliot, was found guilty and sentenced to 20 years in prison, Hernandez’s lawsuit increased the scrutiny aimed at Baylor.

Several prominent figures were named in the lawsuit, including but not limited to Ken Starr, then-Chancellor and President of Baylor, and Art Briles, the head football coach at the time.

In a later lawsuit, Kendal Briles, Art’s son and the team’s offensive coordinator, was alleged to have told football recruits that white women on campus love football players and was complicit in the misogynistic environment that was fostered on campus.

Art Briles was fired and Starr resigned as a result of the actions that took place under their watch. Kendal Briles remained as the Baylor offensive coordinator for the 2016 season but left at its conclusion.

In 2017, Kendal Briles accepted a job as offensive coordinator at Florida Atlantic University under new head coach Lane Kiffin in a move that itself received mixed reactions.

After a successful year at FAU, in which the Owls finished ninth in total offense and sixth in points-per-game, Briles left to take the same position at his alma mater, the University of Houston, under coach Major Applewhite.

• Of course there’s a presumed innocence and the suit is civil but how callous and stupid do you care to look if the plaintiff wins the case – assuming you don’t care what you might look like after revelations of the case if she loses.