Sports Volleyball

UH volleyball sweeps ECU for 22nd win

UH volleyball won its fifth straight match, sweeping ECU on Friday afternoon at Fertitta Center. | Esther Umoh/The Cougar

Houston volleyball swept East Carolina in three sets on Friday afternoon in Fertitta Center for its 22nd win of the season.

In the first set, back-to-back kills by junior outside hitter Abbie Jackson helped push UH to a 10-5.

ECU responded with a 4-0 scoring run followed by a 5-0 run to give the Pirates a 15-13 lead in the middle of the set.

The remainder of the set was back-and-forth.

UH held a narrow 21-20 lead before going on a 4-0 run to end the set highlighted by consecutive kills to secure a 25-20 first set victory.

The second set was all UH, as the Cougars cruised to a 25-14 victory.

A kill by junior middle blocker Rachel Tullos highlighted a 5-0 scoring run in the middle of the set to put the Cougars up 19-10.

A few points later, senior outside hitter Kennedy Warren ended the set with a kill.

The Cougars stayed hot in set three, jumping out to a 10-8 lead.

UH extended its lead to 21-16 before ECU managed to inch its way back into the game, getting within three points of the Cougars.

Up 24-21, Warren ended all comeback hopes the Pirates had, ending the set with a kill to give UH a 25-21 set victory and a sweep over ECU in the match.