Friday, November 16, 2018

Arab summer heats up the Middle East

Published on July 13th, 2011 | by

The arab revolution erupted seven months ago and took the rest of the world by storm. People across the globe watched breathlessly as the protests spread, and governments scrambled to make sense of their foreign policies …

Free Gaza movement worth the risk

Published on June 8th, 2011 | by

On May 31, 2010 a modest flotilla of ships carrying medicine, children’s toys and rudimentary construction materials tried to break the illegal siege the nation of Israel imposed on the Gaza Strip. Israeli commandos attacked and …

Drone attacks drain our legitimacy

Published on April 25th, 2011 | by

Drones, or “unmanned aerial vehicles,” are military technologies that allow our government to conduct surveillance, launch missile strikes and even assassinate individuals all over the world, all without having to declare war and embroil our ground …

The UN needs to be more democratic

Published on April 19th, 2011 | by

The United Nations has long been considered at best, ineffective; at worst, unfair. It has become very easy for developed nations to ignore or even disdain UN resolutions by claiming bias. On the other hand, developing …

Syrian people protest for democracy

Published on April 12th, 2011 | by

Protests have erupted in Syria calling for democracy and an end to exploitation, largely influenced by revolutions taking place in other Arab countries. Although the first protests saw few participants, eventually Syrians stepped forward in large …

Middle East news isn’t fairly covered

Published on March 29th, 2011 | by

Tumultuous events in the Middle East and Japan the past couple of weeks have pushed the news of human rights abuses in Israel-Palestine to a lower priority. However, that hasn’t stopped the atrocities. Since the Egyptian …

UN military involvement may go too far

Published on March 22nd, 2011 | by

For the past couple of weeks, the Libyan people have been fighting to the death against the oppressive regime that controls their country. Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi has vowed to cruelly punish the citizens of Libya …

Patriarchy present in all societies

Published on March 7th, 2011 | by

The revolutions sweeping the Middle East have brought many novel images to the American public. One image in particular shocked the media talking heads: the Arab woman, taking an equal role in her country’s revolution. Who …

US should play fair or not at all

Published on March 1st, 2011 | by

Most people believe that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is too complicated to understand. After all, the two sides have been fighting for over 60 years. In actuality, the conflict is a simple — it revolves around three …

Are you excited for Thursday's game?