Pay phones set to leave UH

The University announced earlier this month that AT’T will eliminate the majority of pay phones on campus because of low usage.

The rise of wireless and mobile communication used around campus in recent years by students and faculty has been the main reason for the decision by AT’T.

"(The) ongoing growth of wireless phones and and other mobile communications devices (have) significantly impacted the demand for and usage of retail pay phone services," AT’T said in a press release.

The change has been met with mixed reactions by students, who are split on the decision of having the phones on campus at all.

"(The University should) just have them close to every building," math graduate student Ojas Deve said.

Other students say they do not see the reason for having pay phones on campus at all.

"Why do we have (pay phones)?" electrical engineering junior David Truong said. "When, I mean, cell phones are everywhere now. … Everyone has cell phones now."

Work on taking out the payphones is expected to occur this month and should last a minimum of two months, according to a press release.

The facilities where pay phones will be eliminated include the Roy Cullen building, Agnes Arnold Auditorium, the Philip G. Hoffman Hall, the John O’Quinn Law Library, the J. Davis Armistead Building and dormitories.

The impending decrease of pay phones is considered a bad move by some students who say that there are not enough on campus, citing safety concerns and convenience in case of emergencies.

"I think it’s a bad idea," Deve said. "Because in case your cell phone battery dies, you need to call someone in case you have an emergency."

Not all payphones will be extracted, however, as some sites on campus are regularly utilized and will remain active.

Campus payphones will continue to be in operation at the University Center Underground, the Hilton Hotel lobby and the third floor of the Technology Building.

"It’s good to have (pay phones) around, just in case you forget your cell phone at home," said Truong. "You don’t know, you might need one."