Presley gets All-Star invite

University of Houston sophomore centerfielder Zak Presley took a break from the Colleyville LoneStars to play in the Brookshire’s McCormick Texas Collegiate League All-Star Game at Lupton Stadium Monday on the Texas Christian University campus.

Presley played on the Tris Speaker Division All-Star team against All-Stars from the Rogers Hornsby Division.

Presley, who started the season with the McKinney Marshals, is among the league leaders with five stolen bases and has a .231 batting average with six runs scored and a double.

Presley’s other notable accomplishments this year include being named to the 2007 Silver Glove All-Series Team and the Conference USA All-Freshman Team.

Five other Cougars are competing in the Texas Collegiate League this summer: catchers Chris Wallace (Brazos Valley Bombers) and Austin Goolsby (Coppell Copperheads), outfielder Chris Joseph (Duncanville Deputies) and pitchers Chris Wright (McKinney Marshals) and Jimmy Raviele (Duncanville Deputies).

Perez captures silver medal Sophomore sprinter Jason Perez finished second at the 2007 Pan-American Junior Athletics Championships in the 400-meter hurdles (51.22 seconds) on Sunday in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Perez finished behind fellow American Johnny Dutch (50.82 seconds). The two contributed to the total of 48 medals won by Team USA over the three-day competition.

After finishing third in the 400-meter hurdles (50.92 seconds) at the USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships on June 22, Perez cemented his place on the USA Junior Team and was invited to compete in the Pan American Junior Games.

Shamblin wraps up Canada Cup Senior softball pitcher Angel Shamblin competed in the 2007 Canada Cup International Women’s Fastpitch Tournament as a member of the Gold Coast Hurricanes last week in Surrey, British Colombia, Canada.

The Gold Coast Hurricanes did not advance past pool play to the championship round. They finished 2-4.

Their first victory was a 9-3 triumph over the Dominican Republic on July 2. Shamblin propelled the Hurricanes to the victory in that contest. She picked up the win after tossing 4 2/3 innings and allowing three runs on four hits and zero walks. She also struck out five batters.

The Hurricanes’ only other win came on Wednesday against Japan-Denso Club. In the 2-1 victory, Shamblin entered the game as a defensive replacement in the late innings and recorded a walk.

The Hurricanes bowed out the tournament quietly with a 3-0 loss to Georgia Wilson Select on Wednesday. In her final appearance, Shamblin tossed a scoreless inning of relief with two strikeouts.

In three pitching appearances, Shamblin was 1-1 with a 3.23 ERA in 8 2/3 innings pitched. She registered 11 strikeouts.

With additional reporting by Deanna Mendoza