UH adds new jogging trails

The University has announced that it will develop jogging trails around campus as part of the UH Campus Framework Plan beginning next week.

"(The trail) will run along the perimeter of the detention pond on University Drive east of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center," Senior Project Manager for the UH Office of Facilities Planning and Construction Darrell K. Bunch said in a release.

The project, which has been in the planning phases since 2005, will also improve existing campus sidewalks, such as the one that ends at the corner of Texas Spur 5 and Wheeler Avenue, Bunch said.

"In the coming months, we hope to identify with a marking system the sidewalks that are going to be used as jogging trails and renovate those sidewalks," Bunch said.

Construction on the project is expected to last between 60 to 90 days with a budget of $265,000.

"We also plan to create a perimeter jogging trail that loops 4.3 miles from (Texas) Spur 5 to Elgin Boulevard to Scott Street to Wheeler Avenue and back to Spur 5," Bunch said.

Traffic along Calhoun Road, Wheeler Avenue and Texas Spur 5 will be minimally affected by the project, which will extend into the fall semester.

Most of the construction is expected to take place on the east side of Calhoun Road, so as to avoid traffic congestion in the area and will have minimal impact on transit.

The trail will measure approximately one-third of a mile and feature drinking fountains and fitness areas, such as pull-up bars and ground-level lighting along the path.

Live oak trees will be planted along the sidewalk of Spur 5 and Calhoun Road, although none of the trees originate from the area of the Calhoun Lofts, currently under construction beside the C.T. Bauer College of Business.

The project was presented by the Board of Regents during a meeting in May and will attempt to connect the UH jogging trails with the Harris County trails and bike system currently being constructed along Brays Bayou.