Prof of 27 years dies at 68

Recently retired UH professor of education Wilford Alexander Weber died in his home on June 28 at the age of 68.

Weber’s extensive career began at UH 1971, where he became an associate professor of curriculum instruction at the College of Education.

Julie Vowell, a doctoral student specializing in science education, said she felt a strong connection to Weber.

"Dr. Weber always put his students first," Vowell said. "We knew we could call, e-mail, or drop by his office at any time. He was there for all of us."

Weber had recently retired from teaching after the spring 2007 semester, 27 years after starting as an associate professor in 1971.

Robert Wimpelberg, dean of the College of Education, said he had known Weber to be a straight-forward and strict professor who held high standards for students and also said he believed in Weber’s teaching that he had influenced many students’ lives.

"He was accessible to students," Wimpelberg said. "Many, especially doctoral students, will tell you that he has played a key role in their success."

Anita Kirby, an early childhood education doctoral student, said she admired Weber for his commitment and faith in his students.

"I have always struggled with statistics, and he taught in a manner that clarified very difficult concepts," Kirby said. "He was very dedicated to his students and their learning."

According to former students, Weber had a unique way of teaching, and had a great desire to see his pupils succeed. Vowell said that she remembers Weber as a professor who wanted to be a part of his students’ lives.

"Dr. Weber always had something pleasant to say to (us)," Vowell said. "His students were important to him and he cared about their lives."

Weber was known to be very involved in serving his community and his love of baseball, especially the Houston Astros and his local Little League team, where he got involved every year by sponsoring teams, said Wimpelberg.

The College of Education will host a memorial service on campus in August, but the details have not yet been finalized.