The Orginal: Weekend ends with three major milestones in baseball

The home-run record is what everyone talked about in the sports world for weeks, the focus everywhere from ESPN to chitchat between fans. And finally, the hype came to a head Saturday with what was undoubtedly the sports highlight of the weekend.

San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds hitting his 755th home run and tied Hank Aaron’s all-time record was this weekend’s most memorable milestone. After failing to hit the magic home run on the road against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bonds managed to knock off his 755th home run in San Diego on Saturday.

After fouling off several pitches, Bonds crushed a 2-1 fastball from Padres starter Clay Hensley, who will have to suffer the embarrassment of being the unfortunate pitcher to surrender this historic home run-that is, until Bonds hits No. 756 and sets the all-time record. Ironically, with all the controversy involving Bond’s alleged steroid use, he hit the historic homer off a pitcher who was suspended for major league baseball’s steroid policy as a minor leaguer in 2005.

After tying the historic record on the weekend, Bonds now prepares to head to San Francisco for a four-game series against Washington, and it seems inevitable that he will set the record during one of those games. However, Bonds isn’t forcing the issue, telling the Associated Press on Sunday: "There’s no pressure on me to do this right away. I’d love to do a lot of things, but a lot of good fortunes have to come with that, too. I’m going to do my best."

While many have criticized Bonds during the last couple of years because of the steroid accusations placed on him, I don’t feel that his record is tainted yet; he’s innocent until proven guilty just like anybody else.

Meanwhile, on the East Coast, New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez pursued another exclusive record. Just like Bonds, A-Rod took quite some time, but he finally set the record everyone was waiting for. He hit his 500th home run on Saturday and became the youngest player ever to join the 500 home run club at 32 years and 8 days old.

It’s funny how the fickle Yankees fans were so supportive of him when he broke the record and throughout this season because he’s been doing great so far, but were cold to him when he struggled often during the last couple of seasons.

Rodriguez truly does have a chance to catch Aaron and Bonds if he can stay healthy and consistent because he is still young and seems to have more than a few good seasons left in him. Then again, Ken Griffey, Jr. seemed destined to break the all-time home run record long before Bonds came into the picture, but a slew of injuries prevented his career from going the way it could have gone, so nothing is guaranteed for A-Rod.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention another milestone achievement from this weekend: New York Mets pitcher Tom Glavine won his 300th game at Wrigley Field in Chicago on Sunday night. After nearly two decades in Atlanta, Glavine reached this milestone in a Mets jersey.

Overall, this weekend was one of the most historic in baseball ever, with three great players further etching their names in the chronicles of baseball history.