Turner’s teams are ready to run

UH cross country teams are prepared to kick off their season under new head coach Ryan Turner and set the tone for the entire track and field program.

Coach Turner replaced Theresa Fuqua in July. Fuqua left UH after 12 years as head cross country coach and assistant track and field coach to become the head track and field coach at Houston Baptist University.

Turner will also serve as the head coach for both the men and women’s cross country teams and work as an assistant coach to head track and field coach, Leroy Burrell.

Turner came to UH with a winning background at Cowley College in Kansas where he spent three years as the assistant cross country/track and field coach.

In 2006, he led the men’s harriers to the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference championship of the Eastern Division.

As Turner begins his new role at UH, one of the things he wants to do is bring energy to the program and widen its fan base.

"I want to bring an excitement back to distance running," Turner said.

The first meet of the season will take place next week and Turner believes that, with the practice they’ve put in, his teams will be ready to compete.

"Every time we practice, we’re preparing to compete hard – the same way any other team would prepare for a game," Turner said.

Turner and his teams will use the first meet of the year to set the tone for the remainder of the season.

"We want to compete hard and capitalize on a chance to start off the year in a positive way," Turner said.

Lone senior Steve Magness and sophomore Ahmed Harb will lead the men’s team this season.

Turner has projected Magness to be a leader for his team.

"We’ll rely on (Magness) to not only lead by example, but bring leadership and passion to the team," Turner said.

Harb enjoyed a sensational freshman campaign after a sixth place finish at the Big Wave Invitational in Hawaii last season.

Harb also finished 15th at the 2006 Conference USA Championships, earning himself a spot on the All-Conference third team. He will look to improve upon those accolades this upcoming season.

Senior Oumama Hallal and sophomore Jessica Cook will lead the women’s team.

Some of Hallal’s highlights in 2006 include a fifth place finish at the Texas Invitational, a seventh place finish in the Hawaii Big Wave Invitational and a 3st place finish at last year’s Conference USA Championships.

Wherever Hallal finished, Cook was not far behind and vice versa. Cook finished second at last year’s Big Wave Invitational in Hawaii, sixth at the 2006 Texas Invitational and 25th at the conference championships.

"Oumama and Jessica are two of our top girls," Turner said. "They should both have good years for us."

Turner also commented on the dedication junior Kelcee Keenan has shown this summer to recover from injury.

"Kelcee had a great off season," Turner said. "She put in a lot of work over the summer and we’re excited to see what she brings this season."

In the meantime, the Cougars will be hosting the 2007 Cougar Classic Cross Country Carnival for grade schools in the Houston area. The meet is scheduled for Saturday at UH.

The Baylor Twilight Invitational will take place Aug. 31 in Waco and will mark the official beginning of the season for the Cougars. The team will then have two weeks to prepare for the Lori Fitzgerald Invitational, which is scheduled to take place Sept. 14 in El Paso.