Misconception plagues Saudi Arabia

"Did you live in tents and ride to school on camels?" is the most common one I am asked. I have, however, heard more absurd questions, such as, "Did you know what McDonald’s was?" and "Are women allowed to walk out during daylight?"

Even though I am not a national, I was raised and schooled in Saudi Arabia, and thus I have fond memories of the place I like to call home. Therefore, I would like to answer the questions mentioned above, and clear misconceptions regarding the country.

First of all, no, only nomadic Bedouins live in tents, and spend their lives roaming from oasis to oasis. And yes, Saudis are aware of McDonald’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, cheesecake and proms.

The country is prospering each day, and with it, the financial spending capacity of its residents. Thus, malls are sprouting all over the desert rose, like dates on a palm tree. Saudis, in cities like Riyadh, Jeddah and Al-Khobar have family routines in which they dine at restaurants more than four times a week. But not all Saudis live like Richie Rich and eat with golden utensils. Like in every country, poverty in its entity does exist.

The treatment and rights of women has always been a topic of high curiosity for outsiders. To answer the question, women do walk around in the daylight; they are not vampires or cravers of the darkness.

They must, however, adhere to Islamic dress code when in public, but that does not restrict some from reaching Forbes’ list of the 50 most powerful women in the Arab world. Saudi businesswoman Lubna S. Olayan, CEO of the Olayan Financing Co. is No. 1.

A recent study conducted by the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry reports that women have ownership of more than 1,400 companies in the kingdom.

As the statistics have shown, women are allowed to have jobs, and even own businesses in the country. And not only are they breaking ground in their fields, but they are also prospering tremendously.

Another common misconception that I have encountered is the idea that if any Americans or foreigners live in the country, they will be endangered and discriminated against.

A recent example of the frequency of this rumor: on my flight back to Saudi for this summer’s vacation, a Scottish engineer occupied the neighboring seat. He had recently been hired by one of the oil companies of the eastern province, and stated how he wasn’t looking forward to working in the region because he feared the cultural differences.

I tried my best to shed light on the truth and separate rumors from actuality.

All in all, Saudi Arabia is a glorious country, not only rich in oil, but in its beautiful and diverse culture. Yes, the lifestyle is a bit different from what we are used to, but uniqueness can hold its appeal.

The desert rose is filled with hospitality of unimaginable depth and traditions of exquisite aromas that can only be encountered by visiting the country itself.

Nagra, a psychology senior, can be reached via [email protected]