Volleyball takes two in the chin

Volleyball

The Cougars fell to 1-3 after dropping matches to No. 6 Texas and New Mexico State this past weekend at the Athletics/Alumni Center.

The Cougars were slammed 3-1 (30-20, 20-30, 30-21, 30-26) by New Mexico State on Sunday afternoon for their third straight loss. On Friday night, Texas beat the Cougars in straight sets (30-22, 30-16, 30-19).

Junior outside hitter Justine Farmer led the Cougars with 23 kills against New Mexico State. Freshman outside hitter Hannah Sullivan contributed a team-high 10 kills against Texas.

Cross Country

The women’s team raced to a sixth place finish and the men’s team finished seventh at the Baylor Twilight Invitational on Friday in Waco.

Senior Oumama Hallal was the top Houston women’s runner with a time of 15 minutes, 7.3 seconds, 26th-fastest in the women’s 4-kilometer race. Sophomore Daniel Martinez led the men with a time of 19 minutes, 12.4, 19th-fastest in the men’s 6-kilometer race.

Soccer

Houston and UCLA had their Friday match at Robertson Stadium cancelled due to lightning and severe weather, and their makeup match scheduled for Monday was also cancelled because UCLA could not change its travel plans.

UCLA was winning 4-0 on Friday when the game was postponed in the 48th minute, but by NCAA rules, a match does not become official until the 70th minute. Therefore, stats from that match will be erased.