Ruth Recommends: Famed string players to perform

Many people are familiar with the statement: "Those who can’t do, teach," suggesting that those who have failed in their pursued endeavors often end up in the realm of academia.

This weekend that saying will be put to shame as a group of distinguished professors combine their musical talent for the faculty concert, Two’s company √ñ Three ain’t bad, either! at 3 p.m. Sunday at Moores School of Music, Opera House.

UH associate professor of violin Kyung-Sun Lee will take the stage along with UH distinguished professor of violin Andrzej Grabiec, professor of viola at Rice University’s Shepard School of Music James Dunham and UH affiliate artist in collaborative piano and chamber music Brian Suits for the faculty performance.

Two’s company √ñ Three ain’t bad, either! will include works by Bohuslav Martin?, a Czech composer of modern and classical music influenced by post-war avant-garde styles, Hungarian composer and pianist B√àla Bart√õk, Polish composer and violinist Gra√ªyna Bacewicz Û the first female composer to receive national and international recognition Û and Zolt∑n Kod∑ly.

Championing the rarely-performed concertos of French Romantic composers such as Theodore Dubois and Benjamin Godard, Lee has graced audiences worldwide with her distinctive, elegant sound and will surely serve as a solid backbone for Sunday’s performance.

Since the remarkable age of 11, Grabiec, a Poland native, has performed as a solo violinist in symphonic concerts and recitals throughout the world frequenting Hungary, France, Spain, Switzerland and Australia.

Dunham, the much sought after and internationally known soloist, chamber musician and teacher will serve as guest artist for Sunday’s performance. He has collaborated with numerous international musicians including Emmanuel Ax, Joshua Bell, Cho-Liang and the Tokyo Quartets.

This is a great chance to see some of the University’s most noteworthy musicians perform an inexpensive concert in the convenience of your own campus, which you would otherwise, with reason, pay a pretty penny for.

Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for faculty, staff, patrons older than 55 and for those with a student ID. For more information, call (713) 743-3313.