Dim future for generations to come

Our progression from building the Egyptian pyramids to the construction of the new-age atomic bomb may be a wonderful concept to some, but along with the marvel come cheerless news flashes.

†The kind of legacy we are leaving behind for our future is a shame. The world has changed so much, so that corruption, ignorance and hatred have their claws around our hearts. The song, "Where is the Love?" captures my sentiments exactly. So, where has the love gone?

†To start off, our family models have changed from the sugary Brady Bunch to the eccentric Osbournes. Has the world around us distorted to the point that we can very easily relate to what psychology books would define as a dysfunctional family?

Why has our family model altered so much? Is it because we like to examine the extremes that other families can reach, and feel better that we aren’t at that point, and, with that foolish comparison, deduce that our family is doing fine? Or is it because our own families resemble others so much that we identify with them effortlessly?

†For sure, the Jetsons’ life as a future is something that we will surely not be witnessing, as it is not all happy go lucky and wonderful at the end of each day. We all loved the fact that all George had to work was three hours a day, three days a week, had dinners in the forms of pills, and was spoiled by a robot-maid and a perfect family.

I have friends who are married who work over 35 hours a week, drag themselves home to bickering spouses, unwashed dishes and teenagers that lock themselves in their rooms. This common story is, in no way, pointing toward a Jetsons’-like future. What a shame. I very much liked Rosie the robot.

†Instead of a perfect mirage, our present does, however, resemble George Orwell’s Animal Farm, where pigs take over Mr. Jones’ farm and corruption runs askew on the property. As of today, we face the same fate: Our politicians cannot be trusted, vital deals are conducted under the table, and the masses suffer from being ignored.

We should not show our kids a future filled with corruption, no value for human lives and no safe haven. We can only hope that the future doesn’t turn out like the movie Children of Men, where wars and rage escalate so much that it completely wipes out future generations. Even the birth of one baby creates chaos in the populations of the rulers. If the wars of today continue to rage on, many lives could potentially end up in Gestapo camps like the ones portrayed during Adolf Hitler’s era. Two world wars are enough.

†We will not witness a progressive future if we allow history to repeat itself. Have we become that immune to our surroundings that we are going to let this continue on, like the perfect utopian society members in "The Giver" by Louis Lowry? But we will have no Jonas in this world.

We need political leaders who will stand up for us, who we can clearly look up to, who will not lead us into more political turmoil, complete injustice and absolute disharmony.

†Like in the book mentioned above, our society is losing its concepts of love and family. We have commercialized "love" so much that it has changed dramatically from a private treasure to public horror. We nose into the lives of celebrities and point fingers at them, as if they are answerable to us. But we forget in our frenzy to judge that there are other more important issues in the world that need to be looked at: starving children in Somalia, families being torn apart in Gaza and guerilla wars in Korea.

†Yes, of course we have all heard people around us whining about the problems around the globe, and why should one watch the news or take part in a volunteer walk? Don’t our Scrubs episodes and dinners at Fogo De Chao matter more?

†All of this points toward a clear path that leads to a horrifying reality, a path that needs to be identified and blocked. We need some form of prevention before collateral damage. Why not start today, by recognizing our mistakes to better alter our future for our later generations? We can make amends, as they are very possible right now to create change in the bills to curb disaster.

†Perhaps we need new superheroes. I wonder what the next one will be like.