Cougars prepare to face Colorado State University

Now that the Cougars won their first game of the season against Tulane last week, they’re ready to open their home schedule against Colorado State on Saturday at Robertson Stadium.

"We’re glad to be home," head coach Art Briles said. "It’s exciting to get to play at Robertson. We need to come in here Saturday and get after Colorado State.

Although Colorado State is a non-conference opponent, Briles said the Cougars (1-1) put the same effort into every game.

"Regardless of conference or non-conference, for the University of Houston – the coaches and players – that never changes. We’re going to be right there," Briles said.

Although Colorado State has yet to win a game this season, Briles is impressed with their style of play.

"Their effort is one of the first things you notice from the video. Offensively, they’re very precise and patient, which is a little unusual in today’s game, so I think it throws you into a different mindset," Briles said. "They’re a good solid program, and it’s evident when you watch them on video."

Both the defense and the offense are ready to improve their game against Colorado State.

"From an offensive standpoint, we’re just going to make plays," sophomore offensive lineman Carl Barnett said. "The defense is going to stop the ball, we’ll score, and we’ll just keep getting points."

Senior cornerback Harry Simon wants to provide the offense with as many opportunities to score as possible.

"From a defensive standpoint, we’re focused on being physical and playing fast.

We’re really focused on being the best defense in the nation, not just in Conference USA," Simon said. "We want to (force) more turnovers and give the offense the ball more and get great field position."

Senior running back Anthony Alridge said that the defense and offense will work together to bring a win to the Cougars.

"It’s a good thing when the defense can make turnovers and the offense comes in and can score right off the bat and set it right back on the field and do the same thing all over again," Alridge said. "When the offense makes big plays the defense is going to get out there to do their job, and we’re going to do our job."

Briles said last week’s win was a good foundation for the Cougars to build their season on.

"Anytime you win on the road it’s a good game, especially conference games on the road," Briles said. "It takes a tough team to do that. We’re working on making sure we do that every time we step on the field, and we’ve got a chance to protect our home turf Saturday."

Even with a win last week, Simon said the Cougars would work just as hard to prepare for the game this week.

"It was a win and we we’re happy, but as far as we’re concerned it’s behind us," Simon said. "We want to beat Colorado State. We want to beat everybody we play."

The Cougars haven’t played at Robertson since the C-USA Championship last year, but neither the coaches nor the players have forgotten what it feels like to play at home.

"Last time we were there on Dec. 1, 2006 it was a pretty good game," Briles said.

Alridge is ready to step onto the field where he helped the Cougars win a conference championship last year.

"I can’t wait to play in front of our home crowd," Alridge said. "It’s been a long time. I think they (the fans) are anxious to see us, and we’re anxious to see them."

Like Alridge, Barnett looks forward to playing in front of his fellow students.

"We’re at home now. We get to play for our fans, not someone else’s fans," he said.