Rhymes, justice an over-easy mix

"I do not like eggs in the file. I do not like them in any style. I will not take them fried or boiled. I will not take them poached or broiled. I will not take them soft or scrambled Despite an argument well-rambled."

These rhymes have been splashed across newspapers all over the country. Magistrate Judge James Muirhead of Concord, N.H., inspired by Theodore Seiss Geisel, or Dr. Seuss, wrote them in a court ruling.

Concord inmate Charles Jay Wolff filed his fury against prison officials by sending them hard-boiled eggs and suing the state for $10 million. Muirhead was one of the many to receive an unusual package.

Wolff, convicted of sexually assaulting a 7-year-old girl, has demanded that he be fed a kosher diet, as eggs are problematic for his religion, health and age. Wolff, 61, is reported to have health issues.

The story has created a wave of giggles and anger at the verses used. Many people oppose the judge using humor as an answer to a case filing.

Because the inmate is human he should be allowed his rights until his last breath.

I am an ardent supporter of human rights, and if we allow Muslims, Christians and other religious members of our society to practice their faiths in prison, then why not permit this person to continue his kosher diet? If he is arguing that he is fearful of his health condition and would like to have the hard-boiled egg removed from his diet, then so be it; it isn’t as hard of a concept as digging up Atlantis from the bottom of the ocean.

On the other hand, some have voiced opposition to the inmate’s request. Some allege that the prisoner is wasting time and money that could be used for other vital causes. Also, his conviction of a sexual offense against a child has drawn scorn from some detractors.

When one commits a wrongdoing, the whole point of being punished is taking away rights. If seen in that light, this inmate has absolutely no right to demand a completely new diet prescribed just for him. Prison wouldn’t seem that horrible if fast food was allowed.

In my research I have come across various other cases in which judges used song and movie verses across the nation to express their opinions with humor. For example, a bankruptcy judge from Texas used lines from Billy Madison.

A copy of Muirhead’s report and discussions filed by can be found on www.abovethelaw.com.

Nevertheless, I approve Muirhead’s use of humor in the sense that it’s highly refreshing and original. It takes a confident man to step out of bounds in such a manner. With so many other crises going on in the world, a little bit of laughter and smiles can never hurt anyone.

Nagra, a psychology senior, can be reached via [email protected]