Focus on Venezuela’s strife, too

It has been a difficult week for democracy in the world and for American diplomacy.

Pakistani leader Gen. Pervez Musharraf continues the state of emergency in Pakistan. On the other side of the globe, Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez continues to make an attempt to extend his own power. Both events have left American diplomats, well, stunned. Unfortunately, there has been a large disparity in the American media’s coverage of both events, as it has focused on Pakistan rather than something closer to home.

Pakistan has been omnipresent in the media since Musharraf imposed a state of emergency and constricted the nation’s supreme court. The crisis in the nation has dominated international headlines as well.

The press, however, has ignored the political strife that’s occurring in Caracas, Venezuela, which is only about 1,400 miles south of Miami. Chavez’s rubber-stamp legislature approved 69 changes to the nation’s constitution this week. If voters approve the changes on Dec. 2, Chavez’s powers will drastically increase. The move will be a large hit against civil liberties, allowing the government to seize private property without approval and giving Chavez the chance to serve as president for life.

Chavez appealed to his people by promising to limit the workday to six hours.

Latin American and European news services have covered Venezuela’s political strife extensively, but America’s coverage has been less than sufficient. Pakistan’s protests have received about the same level of coverage as the Writer’s Guild strike in Hollywood.

President Bush has chastised Musharraf for his actions and asked him to "take off his uniform" and hold elections as promised. Washington has been largely mute in criticizing Chavez.

There are possible reasons for the lack of coverage in America, ranging from past alliances to the price of oil. Musharraf has been an ally of the United States in the war against radical Islam for years. On the other hand, Chavez has proclaimed himself to be America’s enemy since he was elected in 1998, promising to spread socialism. And in May, Chavez took control of his nation’s most popular TV and radio programs. And again, there was barely a blip on the American press’ radar.

Venezuela is the fourth-leading supplier of crude oil and petroleum products to the United States. With the possibility of oil prices hovering around or above $125 per barrel, downplaying Chavez’s grab for power is a sensible move by political elitists who are worried about fueling their limousines.

The double standard in the coverage of the Pakistani and Venezuelan conflicts is tragic, especially since they are similar: both include leaders who want to extend their power. This can also be seen as the American government possibly favoring one country over the other.

Allowing the media to select which topic receives more emphasis is equivalent to surrendering your voice. A voice is fundamentally worthless if it has no means of rebuttal.

Baerga, a communication junior, can be reached at [email protected].