Restaurant Review: Visit Ra for Sushi variety

When it comes to restaurants, and life in general, the more choices, the better. When one walks into Ra Sushi in the Highland Village Shopping Center near River Oaks, they realize that they have a lot of choices.

There is a lounge area to the left with plush seats, a bar with several bartenders, plenty of stools and tables in between them. On the right side of the restaurant there is a traditional dining section.

The best place to sit depends on how long you plan to stay, but one thing remains the same no matter where you sit: the great food.

Ra features an extensive menu, including bento boxes, noodles and many types of sushi. It would take a long time to discuss Ra’s menu, as the sushi section above is extensive, but with the choice of chicken, shrimp, beef, soups and salads, it’s safe to say there is something for everyone.

Another great facet of Ra are the happy-hour specials. The Tuesday night I visited Ra last week, I had my first taste of the California rolls, because I was curious to see what the item named after my home state was all about. This is probably one of the best sushi rolls you will ever have – it simply features rice wrapped around crab, but it tastes just right. Plus, at just $3 for the happy-hour price (which lasts from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday), the price is right.

Those who want a more American item should try the spicy sesame wings. Though I’ve never been a sushi expert, I was able to familiarize myself with the menu at Ra thanks to the down-to-earth and helpful bartenders. Happy hour also features hot sake for $1.

With its great food, excellent staff and exciting ambience, Ra is a place you should visit, whether you know all about sushi or haven’t learned how hot wasabi is.