MFAH event to explore gender in artwork

The Women’s Studies and the Visual Studies programs are co-sponsoring A Conversation about Feminine Beauty and the work of Miwa Yanagi at 6:30 p.m. today at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

Panelists will discuss Yanagi’s art and will feature UH English professor and director of Women’s Studies Elizabeth Gregory and associate professor of sociology and director of Visual Studies Tracy Xavia Karner.

MFAH, Photo Forum at the MFAH and The Jung Center Houston are also sponsoring the event.

The museum exhibited Yanagi’s work in 1993. The Deutsche Bank Collection is presenting three series and videos of work at the MFAH, which will be on display until May 4.

"The MFAH is pleased to once again present the powerful work of Miwa Yanagi, whom audiences first encountered in Houston in 2003 during the landmark History of Japanese Photography, which was organized by the museum under the guidance of Anne Wilkes Tucker," MFAH Director Peter Marzio said in a release. "The museum is grateful to Deutsche Bank for sharing this exhibition."

Yanagi is known for confronting the stereotypical role and image of women in her photographs, according to the MFAH Web site.

The panelists will discuss the subjects in Yanagi’s work and how she portrays beauty and gender, according to the Visual Studies Web site.

A Conversation about Feminine Beauty will be at the Brown Auditorium in the Caroline Wiess Law Building. For more information, contact MFAH at (713) 639-7300.